Pacific Science Center is looking for volunteers to enhance our guest experience during Grossology: The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body. High volumes of guests are expected to visit Pacific Science Center, including thousands of camp and school children. Grossology Special Exhibit Volunteers play a critical role in ensuring guests have a positive experience. Volunteers work closely with Science Interpreter Program staff, lead guests through educational activities and provide general information about the exhibit and good customer service. Upon completion of a three-month commitment, volunteers are eligible for a complimentary Pacific Science Center membership.
The exhibit runs through January 3, 2016. For more exhibit information please visit https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/exhibits/grossology
Reports To: Volunteer Coordinator
Position Start Date: anytime between August 1, 2015 and December 1, 2015
Schedule: Minimum of one shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Shifts are available daily from 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or 1:30 – 5:00 p.m. (6:00 p.m. in August, Saturdays, Sundays, and during peak holiday season.) Grossology exhibit volunteers’ commitment ends when the exhibit closes with the option to continue volunteering in other exhibits.
• Provide science interpretation and lead interactive hands-on activities with guests of all ages.
• Foster a welcoming environment for guests and proactively assist guests with directions and information.
• Ensure guests follow general Pacific Science Center rules. Be attuned to safety and security. Support the Exhibits, Science and Education, and Guests Services teams.
• Support daily operation procedures such as using walkie-talkies, assisting with line control, tracking attendance, and assisting with lost parties.
• Attend a Grossology exhibit training to gain insider knowledge about the exhibit and share this information with guests
• Be comfortable standing and walking for extended periods of time
• Be able to use a walkie-talkie with training
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must pass a criminal background check
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Enthusiasm for learning new information about the Grossology exhibit and sharing this knowledge with others
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Professional appearance and good personal hygiene
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and flexibility should difficult situations arise
TO APPLY: Apply online at the volunteer webpage at https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/volunteers/
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
Pacific Science Center inspires a lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees. Pacific Science Center does not discriminate on the basis of any trait protected by law such as age, race, gender, veteran status, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or other activities.