We are looking for STEM education volunteer interns to support our STEM-OST (Out-of-School Time) program. The focus of this internship is to deliver hands-on lessons and activities in physics, engineering, astronomy, mathematics, and health to elementary and middle school children in out-of-school time programs in underserved communities in the Seattle area. The program employs a tiered mentoring approach; each STEM-OST team, comprised of one outreach education teacher, one STEM education volunteer intern and two teen interns, visit participating community organizations with existing out-of-school time programs for a Summer Series consisting of one hour sessions per day for five days (typically over a 5-week period). There may be opportunities for curriculum development for K-2 level lessons.
People who are enrolled or seeking enrollment in an education certificate program or with a background in education are well suited to this position.
If you are interested email us today!
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title "STEM Education Volunteer Internship".
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Reports To: Outreach Education Manager
Position Start Date: Mid-June
Time Commitment: A program series typically runs 1 day/week at each site for 5 weeks (a few will run daily at a site for one week). At least a 5 week commitment to at least 1 program series is preferred (about 4 hr/week for 5 weeks), to ensure consistency throughout the delivery of a program series. We highly recommend committing to more than one program series to allow for a more in-depth volunteer experience.
Schedule: Variable; dependent upon number of program series. Programs run mid-June through August.
• Support STEM-OST programs at community-based youth organizations and other sites.
• Assist with the evaluation of programs and activities.
• Assist with mentoring teen interns.
• Support curriculum/training development.
• Assist with collection and reporting of statistics and reports.
• Assist with research, development, revision of program materials.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Enrolled or seeking enrollment in an education certificate program.
• Experience working with elementary and middle school-aged children.
• Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check.
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
• Great attention to detail.
• Excellent planning and organizational skills.
• Track record of working well within a team environment.
• Desire to inspire children through innovative and engaging science curricula.
• Enthusiasm for science and science education.
• Courteous professional manner.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment.
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation.
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer
We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve
to our organizational culture and our employees.