Pacific Science Center’s award-winning, interactive programs reach more than 1.3 million people around the state each year — in their communities, classrooms and on our campus. Summer is particularly busy as our guest numbers rise and our presence at local events increase. The promotional demands within our Marketing department also rise in the summer. Our Marketing department has an exciting opportunity for a person interested in developing their promotions and marketing experience by representing the Pacific Science Center at Seafair, Bumbershoot and other events!
By the end of summer, you will have gained valuable event planning and marketing skills, as well as strengthened your resume/portfolio. This is a great opportunity for those who want to positively impact a nonprofit while exploring a career in Marketing, Public Relations, or Communications or who just want to make a difference while having fun meeting people at local festivals and fairs.
Reports To: Special Events Coordinator
Position Start Date: June 2015 (start date flexible)
Position End Date: Minimum of 10-weeks, ideal candidates will commit through the end of summer
Time Commitment: June – Labor Day weekend, twice a month (or more if you wish) for four hours on a weekend.
- Assist with the set-up, teardown and facilitation of events
- Represent Pacific Science Center at off-site events (such as: Symmetra Family 4th, Seafair Milk Carton Derby, Bumbershoot, etc.) under the supervision of the Marketing and Promotions Intern.
- Manage the distribution of marketing materials at all off-site events
- Staff an interactive, informational booth at events
- March in parades, passing out candy, etc. to children along the parade route.
- Brainstorm cost-effective guerrilla marketing tactics that can be implemented throughout the summer
- Other duties as assigned
- Strengthen communication and customer service skills through diverse interactions with Science Center staff and the general public
- Develop high-level administrative and creativity skills associated with working in a busy Marketing department
- Demonstrate event planning and leadership skills while working in a team environment
- Gain insight into the inner-workings of a large nonprofit educational institution
- Flexible and willing to take on a variety of tasks
- High level of energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- Works well independently, as well as part of a team and can react accordingly to the Science Center’s fast-paced nature
- Strong customer service skills and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Pass a criminal background check
- Provide 3 references
- An interest in Marketing, Public Relations or Communications strongly preferred
- Experience in promotional events a plus
- Must be willing to work weekends in the summer
Benefits to Volunteer
- Science Center passes to exhibits
- Opportunity to share your knowledge and skills
- Add to your resume and explore new careers
- Elevate your current skill set and showcase your talent
- Expand your network of contacts and raise your visibility
- Experience leadership and be part of a great team
TO APPLY: Fill out application form at Pacific Science Center volunteer page at http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/Get-Involved/volunteer . Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, nonprofit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees. Pacific Science Center does not discriminate on the basis of any trait as protected by law such as age, race, gender, veteran status, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or other activities.