Over 15,000 guests have experienced Pacific Science Center’s Tinker Tank since it opened last year. Tinker Tank is a prototype maker space with changing staffed, hands-on activities on Friday and Saturday afternoons. Activities have ranged from experimenting with aerodynamics, to creating gravity walls, to experimenting with electric circuits and much more. The space has been generally well-received by guests of varying ages and backgrounds.
A Blogger Intern is needed to help showcase Tinker Tank’s dynamic activities and content to the digital world. The intern will research peer institution’s Maker Space blogs, as well as general Maker Space blogs. The internship is centered on creating a proposed Tinker Tank blog plan with estimated cost, content strategy, evaluation methods, sample blog posts and projected timeline. This is a scalable internship, in that an intern could choose to extend their internship to two quarters to then execute the plan in the second quarter. At the internship’s conclusion, the intern will have gained valuable project coordination, communication, and digital skills, as well as strengthened their resume.
Reports To: Manager of Exhibit Development
Position Start Date: flexible
Position End Date: interns will need to make a minimum 10-week commitment
Time Commitment: 9 - 12 hours a week
• Research peer institution’s Maker Space blogs and maker blogs generally
• Develop a plan to create a Tinker Tank blog with estimated cost, content strategy, evaluation methods, sample blog posts and projected timeline
• Implement Tinker Tank blog plan (time permitting)
• Generally research Tinker Tank for content ideas
• Other duties as assigned
• Strengthen written communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills through diverse interactions with Exhibits staff, Tinker Tank volunteers and guests
• Develop project management skills associated with researching and developing a Tinker Tank blog plan
• Demonstrate leadership skills
• Gain insight into the inner-workings of Pacific Science Center
• Current college or graduate student
• Preference to students pursuing career in marketing, digital media, communications, museums or informal education
• Strong social media and desktop publishing skills
• Must have very strong attention to detail
• Excellent customer service skills
• Track record of working well in a team environment
• Courteous professional manner
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
• Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title “Social Media Development Internship.”
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees. Pacific Science Center does not discriminate on the basis of any trait as protected by law such as age, race, gender, veteran status, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or other activities.