The Evaluation department is looking for enthusiastic self-starters. This is a volunteer opportunity to work with a small team to collect and process data for a variety of Science Center programs and initiatives.
The Evaluation department aims to accurately collect and reflect the voices of our guests and stakeholders. This feedback is often used when reporting on the impact of Pacific Science Center’s initiatives to our donors and grant funders. Additionally, we use data to continually assess and improve our programs and exhibits and ensure that we are providing relevant, inspiring experiences for the public. Evaluation guides planning, enables decision-making, and strengthens programming. An aptitude and interest in audience research is desired. The volunteer will contribute to this important effort.
Reports To: Evaluation Manager
Time Commitment: 2-shifts a month for a minimum of 6 months. Evaluation opportunities will be available on an on-call basis and will include weekends and occasional weekday opportunities. Typical shifts will be 3 hours.
Training: Volunteers will receive appropriate evaluation training.
To Apply: Apply online at the bottom of the volunteer page, here.
• Attending training sessions and meetings to learn evaluation methods and standardized procedures
• Carrying out evaluation projects accurately and according to the directions and protocols established by the Evaluation department
• Establishing rapport with a wide variety of visitors; following scripts to obtain informed consent; asking questions in a consistent manner; and accurately reporting data
• Data collection may include distributing surveys to visitors, conducting face-to-face interviews, tracking and timing studies, and visitor observations
• Assist in entering data into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and/or transcribing audio files into Microsoft Word
• Other duties as assigned
• Enjoy interacting with children, families, and the general public
• Good skills in dealing with the public, accuracy, attention to detail, and clear handwriting
• Must be able to stand and interact with people for extended periods.
• Proficient with computers/technology and knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is a plus.
• Attend agreed upon trainings
• Commit to at least 6-months and to volunteer a minimum of 2-shifts a month
• 18+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• Provide three references (one or more being a professional reference)
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Excellent listening and communication skills (verbal and written)
• Comfort working with people
• Ability to follow directions and good attention to detail
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
Pacific Science Center inspires a lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer.
We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.