Pacific Science Center’s 300+ volunteers are integrated into all six Science Center Divisions. Volunteer roles vary greatly from behind-the-scenes office support to more visitor focused roles to virtual volunteering and more. All volunteers support the shared mission of inspiring a lifelong interest in science, math, and technology. The Volunteer Program strives to develop community building opportunities amongst these various volunteer groups. Past volunteer community building events have included exhibit previews and an architecture tour.
The Volunteer Program intern will create a proposed calendar of community building volunteer events. The intern will survey volunteers and research suitable events and program ideas. The intern will also execute a volunteer event. The intern will also have the opportunity to provide general Volunteer Program administrative support throughout the internship. These are valuable skills for anyone interested in working with volunteers or within museums. At the internship’s conclusion, the intern will have gained valuable volunteer administration, communication, and event skills, as well as strengthened their resume.
Reports To: Volunteer Talent Manager
Position Start Date: October, 2014 (fall quarter)
Position End Date: Ideal candidate will commit at least 10 weeks
Time Commitment: Flexible, ideally 9 hours a week
• Survey Pacific Science Center volunteers on community programs/events they would be interested in
• Research and develop a calendar of community building volunteer events
• Execute at least one volunteer event
• Provide general volunteer program administrative support
• Other duties as assigned
• Strengthen written communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills through diverse interactions with volunteers
• Develop high-level administrative skills associated with managing large volumes of volunteer data using Volgistics software (volunteer database)
• Demonstrate volunteer management and leadership skills
• Gain insight into the inner-workings of Pacific Science Center
• Current college or graduate student, ideally pursuing a degree in Museology, Non-Profit Administration, Arts Administration, Education, Project Management, or related field
• Strong skills in word processing, desktop publishing and document production
• Must have very strong attention to detail
• Excellent customer service skills
• Track record of working well in a team environment
• Enthusiasm for working with volunteers
• Courteous professional manner
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
• Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title “Volunteer Program Intern.”
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees. Pacific Science Center does not discriminate on the basis of any trait as protected by law such as age, race, gender, veteran status, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or other activities.