TO APPLY: Apply online at the bottom of the volunteer page, here.
Reports To: Life Sciences Manager
Position Start Date: Interviews will be scheduled in the Spring and selected volunteers will be scheduled shortly after .
Schedule: Must commit to one four hour shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Shifts are 8:30 – 12:30. Shifts are available every day of the week.
• Daily care tasks to maintain our animals – prepare food, clean and disinfect dishes and feeding equipment, maintain safe and healthy habitats
• Learn about the animals’ life cycles, ecology and behavior, and share this knowledge with guests
• May assist with more in depth animal care tasks, such as major cage cleaning projects, cage enrichment, tide pool collecting, or developing new care protocols
• Pin pupae within the butterfly house and assist with butterfly releases when appropriate
• Other duties as assigned
• 18+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• Must be willing to perform repetitive tasks that are necessary to keep animals healthy
• Willingness to learn about new animals
• Must be able to complete tasks to specification, and manage time to complete the assigned tasks each day
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Ability to follow instructions
• Must be motivated to stay busy and move quickly from task to task
• Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
• Ability to work neatly, cooperatively and considerately with other people
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.