Do you love making things, tinkering with objects, building with mechanical parts, or experimenting with electronics? How about sharing your passion for making things with others? Pacific Science Center seeks creative volunteers to assist inside a brand-new Maker Space. This prototype Maker Space is named The Lab. The Lab aims to inspire visitors of all ages to make - using their hands, provided tools, and imaginations!
Maker Space Facilitator Volunteers will test new experiential open-ended maker activities with the public inside The Lab. They will also have the chance to help shape this prototype space by providing valuable feedback and ideas at planning meetings. Additional duties include guest greeting, managing crowd control, assisting with rule enforcement and more! Creative, outgoing, and enthusiastic individuals that like sharing with others are well suited for this position. We ask that volunteers make a minimum 6-month commitment, as well as be available for at least two shifts a month.
TO APPLY: Apply
online at the bottom of the volunteer page, here.
Reports To: Manager of Exhibit Development
Time Commitment: At least 2 shifts per month for a minimum of 6 months. Ideally volunteers will commit to one shift a week. Volunteers will also be invited to contribute at additional planning meetings.
Schedule: Volunteers are scheduled on Friday afternoons and hours will expact to Saturday afternoons shortly
• Facilitate activities for children, families and the general public around making things (activities may include gravity maze, aerodynamics, origami and more!)
• Welcome visitors to The Lab
• Maintain a safe environment within The Lab and ensure it is neat and clean for visitors
• Assist visitors by providing directions to specific locations and exhibits
• Prep activity materials
• Attend and contribute during periodic The Lab trainings and planning meetings
• Other duties as assigned
• Enjoy interacting with children, families, and the general public
• Passion for making things through robotics, electronics, metalworking, woodworking, sewing, or arts and crafts and an enthusiasm for learning new skills
• Attend agreed upon trainings
• Commit to at least 6-months and to volunteer a minimum of 2-shifts a month
• 18+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• Provide three references (one or more being a professional reference)
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Creative and enthusiastic to learn new maker activities
• Courteous professional manner
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
Pacific Science Center inspires a lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer.
We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.