Pacific Science Center was designed by Minoru Yamasaki, a renowned Seattle architect that later went on to design the World Trade Center. Yamasaki wanted to create a space with sweeping Gothic arches, glowing sandstone walls and floral fountains - a quiet sanctuary from the World’s Fair noise and crowds. His acclaimed design still inspires awe 50 years later and was designated a city of Seattle historic landmark for its unique architecture. A stroll around our ponds creates a strong sense of place, and is true to the 1962 vision even as exhibits change and new structures are added.
The plantings are less permanent than the building, but their presentation underscores its architecture, while softening it and creating a sense of life, motion, and welcome. To constantly look their best, the gardens and plantings in the courtyard and at the entrances to our buildings require ongoing care from horticulture grounds volunteers. The attention to detail in our seemingly effortless plantings helps to ensure that the Science Center’s 1 million plus annual guests continue to be inspired by Yamasaki’s design.
TO APPLY: Apply
online at the bottom of the volunteer page, here.
Reports To: Life Sciences Manager
Position Start Date: Spring, 2013
Schedule: Minimum 2, four hour shifts per month - one shift weekly is preferred.
• Clean, water, detail trees and planter bowls in Pacific Science Center’s courtyard
• Maintain plantings in gardens adjacent to our entrance ways: the Boeing IMAX Theater, Discover Labs, and our Denny Way entrance
• Assist with occasional larger pruning and planter renovations in Science Center courtyards
• Other duties as assigned
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Ability to follow instructions
• Must be able to work independently once a task has been assigned
• Must work well on in team situations
• Must be motivated to stay busy and move quickly from task to task
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
• 18+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• Provide three references (one or more being a professional reference)
• This position represents Pacific Science Center, but often works in isolation – volunteers must be comfortable working independently
• To ensure excellent customer service skills, volunteers must be willing to attend portions of the Science Interpretations floor training program
• Must work well in public areas, handling interruptions with grace and without losing focus.
• Demonstrated willingness to do physical work
• May occasionally work in inclement weather
• Willingness to learn new gardening techniques
• Experience with rakes, pruners, shovels, and other gardening equipment a plus
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.