The Tropical Butterfly House opened in 1997, and has been visited by over one million people, yet no two experiences are quite the same. Each day brings slight shifts in temperature, light, butterfly population, and plant growth. A visitor may leave feeling calm and relaxed, or stimulated and curious.
Our goal is that every visitors experience is positive. The seemingly natural plantings are the result of hard work – windows are cleaned, plants groomed and renovated, butterflies are kept safe, happy and well fed. The horticulture and animal care staff provide this environment, and with the help of volunteers, we enhance the guest experience by providing an environment that is vibrant, lively and educational.
TO APPLY: Apply
online at the bottom of the volunteer page, here.
Reports To: Horticulturist
Position Start Date: Immediately
Schedule: Minimum 2 four hour shifts per month. Shifts will be 7 days a week 8:00 am - 12:00 pm. One shift weekly is preferred.
• Clean, water, detail public areas of Tropical Butterfly House
• Assist with pruning and maintenance of Tropical Butterfly house plantings
• Assist with butterfly window care – help release new butterflies into exhibit
• May choose to assist with occasional planter renovations in PSC courtyards.
• Interact with the public during open hours
• Other duties as assigned
• 18+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• To ensure excellent customer service skills, volunteers must be willing to attend portions of the Science Interpretations floor training program.
• Demonstrated willingness to do physical work
• Willingness to learn new gardening techniques
• Experience with rakes, pruners, shovels, and other gardening equipment a plus
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Ability to follow instructions
• Must be able to work independently once a task has been assigned.
• Must be motivated to stay busy and move quickly from task to task
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.