Our volunteer Science Interpreters help bring our exhibits to life for our guests. You receive all the training you need in order to interpret at our salt water tide-pool, and help our butterfly house among other exhibit stations you cycle through in an average day. We also have small locations on the floor where you’re able to engage our visitors and show them a brief, but fun and educational science activity.
Energetic, outgoing, and creative people with an interest or background in science or education are well suited to this position. We ask that people are able to commit for a minimum of 6-months because of the training involved as well as be available to come in at least twice a month.
Reports To: Science Interpretation Programs Supervisor
Time Commitment: At least 2 shifts per month for a minimum of 6 months. Shifts are scheduled for M-F.
· Science Interpretation: Inspire visitors to take an interest in, appreciate and/or gain a further understanding of science, math and technology by engaging in personal inspiring interactions while staffing exhibit positions
· Customer Service: Provides for a pleasurable experience for PSC patrons by welcoming guests and offering generous and efficient customer service
· Operational Support: Contribute to overall operational functions by staffing individual positions throughout the facility correctly and appropriately (training is provided)
· Be able to attend an all-day training
· 18+ years old (for the Adult Program)
· Pass a criminal background check
· Provide three references (one or more being a professional reference)
· Commit to volunteering twice a month for at least six months during weekdays
· Background in science, education, communications
· Previous customer service or education experience
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
· Desire to work with and inspire children and adult visitors from diverse backgrounds.
· Enthusiasm for science and science education.
· Courteous professional manner.
· Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise.
· Excellent oral communication skills.
· Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene.
· Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation.
Want to Apply?
Complete the online volunteer application available here: http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/Get-Involved/volunteer
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that inspires lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs in every county of Washington state and beyond.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer.
We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.